Student Veterans Resource Center Coordinator
Job Opening ID: 184162
Work Location: Flint Campus
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Organizational Group: Flint Vc Std Affairs
Department: Flint Div of Student Affairs
Posting Begin/End Date: 2/13/2020 3/09/2020
Salary: $34,600.00 $42,000.00
Paid Time Off:
Career Interest: Academic & Student Services
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The mission of the Student Veterans Resource Center (SVRC) at UM-Flint is to provide academic support to the veteran community. We assist the veteran community with their pursuit of academic and career goals at UM Flint while offering services tailored to their unique experiences and needs including, but not limited to, assisting with activating and utilizing their GI Bill benefits. We are seeking a dedicated, knowledgeable and experienced Student Veterans Resource Center Coordinator to fill this position.
- Process VA and DoD education benefit claims, including; auditing, non-academic advising and certifying enrollment and enrollment changes each semester; grade submission, end of semester reports to VA, and counseling students on their VA/DoD educational benefits.
- Coach veterans at the point of inquiry regarding the admission and enrollment process, available financial supports, including VA programs, academic programs, student support programs, career services, etc.
- Conduct student degree audits and disclose University of Michigan-Flint and VA/DoD policies as they relate to enrollment, withdrawal, payment, etc. Monitor and maintain compliance of all programs, laws and regulations from the VA and state and federal governments.
- Serve as liaison to the Office of Financial Aid and the Cashier's Office and provide assistance with the financial aid process; coordinate with the Academic Advising and Career Center as needed.
- Participate in campus and community events for the benefit of student veterans and the local veteran community, including, but not limited to the Veterans Day committee, Consortium of Michigan Veterans Educators, presenting at conferences, in classrooms, and at other events as requested by supervision.
- Perform administrative tasks, including but not limited to; updating departmental website, and assist Program Manager with time keeping for student employees, maintain databases, etc.
- Serve as the official point of contact for the SVRC in the absence of the Program Manager to maintain continuity of the department's operations.
- A minimum of an Associate's degree or higher in a relevant discipline.
- More than four years of experience in positions performing work related to the requirements of this position.
- Must understand and have prior experience with the VA education benefit certification process using VA-Once.
- Must be a self-starter, have the ability to work without close supervision, and possess a high level of integrity and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated strong writing and general communication skills, and ability to write reports as well as general correspondence.
- Flexibility, versatility and ability to interact effectively with diverse populations of various ages, genders, ethnic backgrounds and economic situations, in person, by phone and online.
- Proven ability to understand and summarize complex issues accurately.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to use advanced software and computer applications, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Google Suite applications) with demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn other applications as necessary.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on sensitive matters.
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgment in prioritizing workload.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other areas of the university, both academic and non-academic.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends as required.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline is preferred.
- More than one year of experience with VA education benefit certification and Department of Defense Federal Tuition Assistance programs.
- Familiarity with degree plans, transcript evaluations, and FERPA requirements.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Knowledge of military organizations, military culture, and issues affecting the veteran population.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification if there are no qualified applicants who fully meet all qualification of the posted senior classification.
May be under filled as a Student Administration Assistant Intermediate with a salary range of $31,400 to $38,000.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening could be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended. For best consideration, you are encouraged to apply early.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/184162/student_veterans_resource_center_coordinator
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency