Senior Research Coordinator, AHRCI
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Senior Research Coordinator, AHRCI
Job Profile Title
Research Coordinator Senior
Job Description Summary
The Senior Research Coordinator, who reports to the Assistant Director of the Annenberg Health and Risk Communication Institute (AHRCI) of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania (APPC), oversees day-to-day operations for AHRCI's CHAMPION project and other AHRCI research projects, including an annual holiday suicide myth update. Oversight includes management of a team of undergraduate student researchers. CHAMPION (Culture of Health Media Portrayal in Media in our nation) involves content analysis of filmic and televised portrayal of health and risk behaviors including smoking, alcohol consumption, drug use, tobacco use and violence.
- Supervising the drawing of media samples
- Supervising the refinement of coding manuals
- Cleaning data sets for analysis
- Conducting descriptive analyses (such as mean and median, Pearson correlations, and tests for normality)
- Assisting with writing research results and grant reports
- Leading annual holiday suicide myth research project
- Overseeing and performing some data management using Qualtrics; and the creation and cleaning of datasets using Excel.
- Developing coding instruments and identifying and acquiring new samples for content analysis coding under guidance from AHRCI and APPC directors.
- Recruiting undergraduate student coders, training them to work on content analysis and other quantitative and qualitative research projects, and assessing inter-coder reliability using Krippendorff's Alpha software
- Guiding students' work when necessary and conducting content analyses as needed.
- Writing reports summarizing the work of the undergraduate coding team.
- Administrative tasks including submitting student timesheets to payroll, organizing meetings, and when necessary, assisting senior staff with other tasks.
- Performing content analysis of various media (in a lead capacity)
- Working with AHRCI Assistant Director and Director to implement new study designs and coding instruments and identifying and acquiring new samples for content analysis
- Bachelor of Science and 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Post-college experience in an academic research environment is preferred.
- Content analysis experience, including supervision of content analytic research highly preferred.
- Supervisory experience and/or experience working with and supervising students preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, team-building, and problem-solving skills required.
- Work experience coding complex audiovisual material preferred.
- Strong analytic and writing skills desirable. Track record of academic writing preferred.
- Proficiency with Word and Excel required.
- Experience with or willingness and ability to learn and use software packages such as SPSS and online survey programs such as Qualtrics required.
- Candidates should demonstrate attention to detail, excellent time management skills, and be motivated to deliver work under minimal supervision.
- Candidates must be comfortable with collaborative work environments and leading large teams of student researchers.
A Resume and cover letter required. Academic writing samples optional. (clicking the "upload" button at the bottom of the My Experience page in the application process will allow you to attach multiple documents)
Job Location - City, State
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely.
Department / School
Annenberg School for Communication
$43,919.00 - $66,183.00
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Annenberg-Public-Policy-Center/Senior-Research-Coordinator--AHRCI_JR00065357
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency