Lead Custodian (EXTENDED)
Closing Date/Time: 1/11/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Facil Plan & Plant Operations
This full-time (40 hours per week) Lead Custodian position plans, assigns, directs and reviews the work of custodial staff; performs minor maintenance and standard custodial and cleaning duties in buildings and adjacent grounds; performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, a Lead Custodian position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 12,000 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 3% Asian, 1% African-American, 1% Filipino, .25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and .19% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2017. At Cabrillo, over 52% of students are students of color and 59% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
- Plans, schedules, assigns, directs, and reviews the work of the custodial crew
- Provides input into selection decisions, performance evaluations, and other personnel decisions under the direction of the Custodial Supervisor or designee
- Trains staff in the proper use of custodial equipment and supplies
- Maintains equipment and supplies in good working condition
- Orders and receives supplies and equipment
- Distributes materials to custodial staff
- Confers with faculty and administrative staff regarding custodial services
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, and polishes floors
- Sweeps and vacuums rugs
- Dusts and polishes furniture and woodwork
- Empties, cleans, and lines waste receptacles, and disposes of trash
- Washes doors, windows, walls, ceilings, venetian blinds, furniture, and light fixtures
- Cleans and disinfects restrooms
- Restocks restroom supplies as necessary
- Moves office furniture and equipment and may make minor repairs
- Strips, seals, and buffs floors
- Cleans and spots carpets
- Safely operates College vehicles and a variety of custodial tools, equipment, and supplies, including buffers and vacuum cleaners
- Closes windows, turns off lights, and locks doors to secure buildings
- Observes safe working practices, including maintaining storage areas in a safe condition
- Corrects or reports any safety or fire hazards
- Follows label instructions to mix and dilute cleansers, disinfectants, and stripping agents to ensure proper strength for use
- Uses a variety of custodial tools, equipment and supplies
- Reports the need for maintenance and repair
- Reports completion of work orders as directed by supervisor and fills in daily activity reports to track time
- Completes other work reports as directed by supervisor
- Performs security checks and coordinates work set by supervisor or designee
- Reports unauthorized persons and other security problems
- Sets up meeting rooms and rearranges furniture
- Maintains records and prepares reports of work performed utilizing a computer and various software such as word processing, database, and email
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school AND three (3) years of custodial experience.
Experience in a large institutional setting (e.g. hospital or school district)
- Basic supervisory principles and practices
- Proper cleaning methods, and the safe usage of cleaning materials, disinfectants, custodial tools and equipment
- Use and minor maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment used in janitorial work
- Safety practices and equipment related to the work
- Safe driving methods and techniques
- Plan, assign, direct and review the work of others
- Provide work instruction to others in work procedures
- Understand and follow written and oral directions
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Safely drive College vehicles and lift heavy objects
- Type with sufficient speed and accuracy to enter data into a computer system
- Complete assignments without immediate supervision
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Possession of and ability to maintain a valid California driver's license and safe driving record during the course of employment
- Must possess sufficient strength and stamina to maneuver equipment and furniture weighing up to 90 pounds, with proper equipment
- Must be willing to work evening, weekends, and overtime as necessary
- Must be willing to be exposed to a variety of chemical cleaning and related products, using appropriate safety precautions and equipment
Salary: *$3,359 to $3,703 plus shift differential per month to start; seven-step schedule to $4,502 plus shift differential per month. Full-time, 100% assignment (40 hours per week), 12 months per year; Monday through Friday, 5:00 p.m. - 1:30 a.m. with weekends as required. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work-related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birthplace, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on the appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Friday, January 11, 2019.
Please note: Cabrillo College will be closed starting Saturday, December 22,2018, and will re-open on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency