This ad is expired.
Substitute Groundskeeper (Short-Term/Temporary Position)
Salary: $20.16 Hourly
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY2223-00187
Location: Cuesta College - San Luis Obispo Campus, CA
Department: Administrative Services
Closing: 6/30/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Job Description Summary
This is a recruitment for a substitute, which is a short-term/temporary position. This recruitment will be open until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Essential Functions & Qualifications
- Care for and maintain assigned acreage including irrigation, mowing, weeding, edging, and fertilization of lawns;
- Check for damaged or broken water lines;
- Check for landscaping problems such as insects and diseases;
- Check for safety hazards; report, remove, and/or repair as required;
- Pick up and dispose of litter and trash; clean parking lot;
- Raise/lower flags;
- Perform specific horticultural needs such as pruning and special watering;
- Maintain inventory of supplies;
- Train and oversee the work of student workers;
- Assess daily nutritional and insect control needs of assigned area;
- Lay out, install, operate, maintain, and repair irrigation systems;
- Operate lawn mowers, lawn sweepers, streetsweepers, air broom, backpack blower, lawn vacuums, turf sprayers, jackhammers, rollers, dump truck, tractor, pickup truck, refuse truck, and other equipment; maintain and make minor repairs on equipment;
- Apply pesticides, herbicides, and other toxic chemicals to control weeds/pests;
- Perform heavy physical labor;
- Maintain accurate records, including daily task records;
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students, and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities;
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, faculty, administrators, and the general public;
- See for the purpose of reading laws and codes, rules and policies, and other printed matter;
- Hear and understand speech at normal levels;
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions;
- Speak so that others will be able to understand normal in-person conversation;
- Lift 100 pounds and/or carry 50 pounds;
- Stand for extended periods of time;
- Bend and twist, push and pull, stoop, kneel, crawl;
- Reach in all directions;
- Work at heights;
- Ascend and descend ladder;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Essential functions of particular positions within classifications may vary because job duties may vary by work location.
- Equivalent to graduation from the twelfth grade;
- Training in the use of and application of pesticide and herbicides.
- Three years of full-time general groundskeeping and landscaping experience.
- Tools, equipment, methods, and terminology used in groundskeeping;
- Maintenance and repair of groundskeeping equipment;
- Fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, their application and safety precautions;
- Plant diseases, insects, pests, and weeds and appropriate eradication methods;
- Supplies and materials used in grounds maintenance;
- Operation, maintenance, and repair of irrigation systems, including reading of blueprints;
- Material Safety Data Sheets and Hazardous Communication Regulations;
- Correct and safe working practices.
- Possession of a current California Driver's License, required;
- An appropriate pesticide applicator's license, preferred.
This is a recruitment for a substitute, which is a short-term/temporary position.
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be contacted for an interview.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cuesta
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency