Social Media Marketing Specialist
Job Opening ID: 181540
Work Location: Ann Arbor Campus
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Organizational Group: School Information
Department: School of Information
Posting Begin/End Date: 12/02/2019 12/30/2019
Salary: $41,000.00 $47,000.00
Paid Time Off:
Career Interest: Communications & Marketing
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
What You'll Do
Research, writing and posting material on School's social media platforms
Post spontaneous and scheduled updates (using social media management software) on all social media accounts run by the unit, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Live tweet events; create events on Facebook and elsewhere; repost/share messages by faculty, students, providers and experts in the information industry;
Help coordinate boosted content and ads on the platforms in collaboration with other campus units and agencies, including a significant recruiting campaign;
Recruit and manage student takeovers and other user-generated content; Provide direction and guidance for M&C production staff to ensure flow of material for social platforms
Request and share photos, motion graphics and video as provided by the unit with appropriate tagging and frequency; in weekly editorial meetings, communicate plans for upcoming campaigns and request any materials needed; coordinate posts with other marketing staff where appropriate; Create reports and conduct analysis of social media strategy for management
Suggest social media strategies and plans for the school, based on current best practices; track audience and engagement by platform; write semi-annual reports summarizing the state of our social media for UMSI; help evaluate new social media platforms for options.
Other communications responsibilities related to social media.
Who We Are
The Social Media Specialist will report to the Associate Director of Communications and assist the School of Information with delivering all facets of its social media strategy and plans as set by the UMSI Director of Marketing and Communications; and provide the metrics and information necessary to evaluate and refine those plans moving forward.
We are nationally top-ranked at what we do; and social media is part of presenting that picture and working with our students, donors, faculty, staff and alumni. We're hoping for someone experienced, who will also use this position to polish their skills.
You'll work on-site with a tight-knit team with a journalistic background. We like each other, and we try to make the workplace fun. We're open to new ideas. We welcome people from different working backgrounds and interests.
For more information about UMSI, please visit our website.
Why Work at Michigan?
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this excellent institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
Skills You Have
- A bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English, information, technology or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Commitment to accuracy in communications (including spelling, grammar and fact checking abilities) or experience with editing copy with precision;
- Two years of experience working in social media in a professional setting;
- Demonstrated ability to tailor tone and message across various social media platforms;
- Familiarity with research regarding social media best practices;
- Excellent ethics and standards of communications.
- An advanced degree in journalism, communications, English, information, technology or a related field;
- Experience working in positions specifically related to large-scale social media analytics, especially for educational institutions or larger corporations/organizations;
- Experience working in an academic environment;
- Experience related to recruitment advertising on social media;
- Experience working as part of a larger marketing and communications team;
- Experience handling customer relations on social media;
- Experience working with diverse operational units as part of daily responsibilities.
Punctual, consistent attendance required. May occasionally require work during non-business hours and on weekends.
May occasionally require travel to locations on and off campus. You will be homed in attractive shared space.
For more detail about the role, please see the full job description.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/181540/social_media_marketing_specialist
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency