This ad is expired.
Senior Budget Analyst
Job Opening ID: 173933
Work Location: Ann Arbor Campus
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Organizational Group: Rackham Grad School
Department: Rackham Business Operations
Posting Begin/End Date: 6/11/2019 6/25/2019
Salary: $75,000.00 $83,000.00
Paid Time Off: Yes
Career Interest: Finance
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and must be attached as the first page of your resume. The letter should address your specific interest in and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
The Horace H. Rackham Graduate School is the home of graduate education at the University of Michigan and offers a remarkably broad and rigorous array of graduate degree programs that are among the very best in the country in each field of study. The U-M attracts outstanding students to graduate study and prepares them to make lasting contributions to society through successful careers in professions and academic disciplines. The Rackham community of scholars, researchers, students, and staff is engaged in the creation of new knowledge, new discoveries, and the formation of our future leaders. The School is an international leader in the development of best practices for graduate education. Further, Rackham is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion as a means of achieving and sustaining excellence.
The Budget & Accounts department strives to be consistent partners within the Rackham Graduate School by delivering timely, accurate and effective financial support. Although the Senior Budget Analyst will start with primary responsibilities associated with shadowing the current budget administrator, within the first year the position will evolve to include administrative supervisory responsibilities over a 2-3 financial support staff.
The Budget Analyst is also a significant contributor in establishing procedures and processes for the budget model within Rackham. Key responsibilities include: financial accounting and reporting; operating and budget planning, allocations, and monitoring; financial analysis; administrative data maintenance and management decision support; cost accounting; commitment tracking; journal entry, procurement support, travel and expense support, endowment administration and financial aid support. The Senior Budget Analyst works directly with the Administrative Director in the provost's annual budget submission process as well as the allocation of funds to units within Rackham.
Because we are committed to diversity, we aspire to develop and nurture the individual and collective skills to recognize, celebrate, and deploy difference as a path to engagement, innovation, and the generation of new ideas and knowledge.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Financial Reporting and Management:
- Advise and consult with the Dean, Associate and Assistant Deans and staff regarding budget.
- Prepare annual budgets for the graduate school including the Rackham financial aid office.
- Produce quarterly Source/Use reports for the Office of Budget Planning. Produce annual financial reports for Sponsored Grant reports. Provide ad hoc financial reporting as requested.
- Request Project/Grants and shortcodes for new accounts including endowments. Prepare estimated distributions from endowments annually
- Coordinate with the Office of Financial Analysis to develop appropriate recharge rates (e.g. room rental rate) upon expiration of current rates. Assist with budget questions involving staff/job appointments.
- Advise and consult with the Dean, Associate Deans, Administrative Director, and Director of the Fellowships and Financial Aid regarding Rackham Financial Aid.
- Prepare operating budgets for units or departments based on actual performance, previous budget figures, estimated revenue, expense reports and other factors. Coordinate the analysis of actual expenditures and revenue, overruns or under-runs and compile regular and special statistical reports.
- Review expenditures of requisitioning departments to ensure conformance to budgetary limitations. Maintain records of expenses, inventories and budget balances. Audit vouchers and expense accounts. Maintain records of actual operating figures for comparison with estimated budget. Assist in the installation of budgetary control systems.
- Develop and conduct presentations in support of budgetary analysis and provide recommendations
- Provide transactional support in the execution of financial activity throughout the organization. Review or complete accounts payable vouchers, travel and expense reports and journal entries for correctness prior to submission for payment and approval.
- Maintain financial databases and documentation for the organization.
- Work with the current budget administrator on the development and implementation of succession planning strategies for all roles in the Budget and Accounts office.
- Lead the development and collection of analysis to support the annual Internal Controls Compliance report.
- Advise and consult Budget and Accounts staff regarding use of research, sponsored funds and report preparation.
- Provide customer service to graduate programs involving emergent issues, financial aid awards and finance questions. Act as Financial Unit Liaison for central offices (FinOps, SSC, etc.) Provide feedback in the Shared Services/SMQ rep meetings regarding use of Shared Services.
- Provide guidance to administrative assistants, affiliated units' staff and other Rackham staff as needed. Provide training and development to newly assigned or less experienced finance staff ( JE's, transaction descriptions, M Reports, Business Objects, Excel, Sponsored Research backup and if/when possible)
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 8 years of financial/budgeting experience.
- Expert in working with reporting software (Business Objects, etc.) and databases (SQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- Strong understanding of database reporting, database structure and data management
- Expert in financial analysis and reporting
- Strong ability to present complex financial data in understandable terms for unit managers
- Knows and applies fundamental financial concepts, practices and procedures to business needs.
- Under supervision, performs work that is varied and that may be somewhat difficult in character.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and standard business practices
- Ability to generate accurate financial reports within established timelines
- Proficiency in use of Excel and Word
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a team
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities effectively
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Supervisory experience
- Expert in UM administrative data systems, information and computing resources
- Expert on utilizing Business Object to create queries and usable reports from UM's financial data warehouse
- Familiar with the provost budget submission process
- Knowledge of UM organizational structure
- Knowledge of UM budget process cycle and requirements
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit http://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/173933/senior_budget_analyst
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency