Department Name: Facilities Svcs & Operations
Job Number: MB2019-PC2534
Status: This is a full-time, temporary position through June 30, 2021 which may be extended based on operational needs.
Priority Screening Date: 07/07/2019
Recruitment Status: Apply today! Application Screening Begins on Monday, July 8, 2019
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (WWW.CSUMB.EDU) is a comprehensive, mid-sized four-year university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives by emphasizing project-based learning, requiring service learning, and promoting multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond the campus community. CSUMB is both an MSI and HSI and has a vibrant, diverse student body of nearly 7000 students and growing. Our faculty and staff, many of whom live in campus housing, appreciate living and working about one mile from the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, we offer excellent benefits, including housing, and competitive salaries for our faculty and staff. During our 25th Silver Anniversary Celebration in 2019-20, we will complete two major building projects: the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and the Student Union. By 2030, CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Facilities Maintenance and Operations, the Planner/Estimator/Scheduler is responsible for planning, estimating, and/or scheduling functions for preventive maintenance, repair, alteration, and minor construction projects of building and equipment installed on grounds and in or upon buildings. The incumbent perform the responsible and complex planning, estimating, or scheduling functions, or any combination of two such functions. This position works collaboratively with the Lead and Supervising Skilled Trades Technicians and others within the Facilities Management Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate the preparation of work orders and schedule work generated from the campus preventive maintenance system; perform tasks involved in the complete operation of the preventive maintenance system, including analyzing, planning, estimating and scheduling work to be accomplished in line with accepted trade practices, pertinent specifications, drawings and sketches; and may maintain a computerized preventive maintenance system.
- Prepare cost estimates for labor and materials for in-house projects; prepare specifications and total cost estimates for preventive maintenance and similar contract jobs; coordinate the development of work orders; make material requests; check materials as they are delivered to assure they meet job requirements; ascertain that all materials are on hand or will be available when needed on a particular job; check availability of staff to perform the work; arrange for access to the job facility by contacting the person responsible for use of that facility; and schedule jobs. Prepare specifications and plans in accordance with code, data or local requirements covering labor, scope and quality of materials.
- Collect and/or review information from various staff members and craft foremen; use such information in developing material lists which are complete and accurate, and cost estimates which are complete and reliable; and schedule the sequence of work required to complete a job across all Plant Operations departments, as appropriate.
- Assist in the development and review of a five-year programmed maintenance special repair budget, a deferred maintenance list, and assist in the preparation of the annual minor construction, and special repair budget.
- Prepare shop drawings and sketches with work descriptions for in-house projects and prepare contract requests for minor jobs which are non-project type requiring full engineering services.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
- May lead Drafting Technicians and related positions in the preparation of plans and specifications and in the maintenance of University as-built plans and allied facility records.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of building materials, costing procedures and the sequential methods of modern construction practices so that various crafts are brought onto the project at the proper time to assure continuous progress to bring the job to completion in a timely manner; time required for performing various segments of construction and maintenance work is necessary in order to properly schedule work; building codes and trades is also required to enable the incumbent to write complete and concise specifications to accompany plans for contract jobs.
Knowledge of the requirements for the proper maintenance of mechanical equipment; knowledge of budgeting procedures including an understanding of price changes due to inflation and other economic factor; and computerized preventive maintenance systems and ability to access such information through use of a terminal is desirable.
Ability to read, interpret, and prepare plans and specifications for all phases of construction and building maintenance. The ability to read, understand and utilize technical information, parts lists and operating manuals is required in order to program and schedule a predetermined preventive maintenance system and to keep the various mechanical and stationary equipment properly maintained and in continuous working condition. The ability to work effectively with all levels of University personnel as well as off-campus professional agencies.
Experience: Two years journey level experience in one or more building or mechanical craft trades.
Education: Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college in engineering, architecture, business management, plant management, industrial technology or public administration. Up to four years of applicable experience may be substituted for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
A general knowledge of State contract procedures is desired.
Five years of experience in a staff or supervisory capacity in plant operations administration or the construction industry, including experience in design, plan analysis and estimating for multiple trade projects.
Demonstrated knowledge/experience of construction and facilities management.
Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), and resource and task scheduling software linked with an Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS).
Special Conditions of Employment:
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Temporary through June 30, 2021
- Collective Bargaining Unit: R09- Technical and Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Mid $4,000s to mid $5,000s/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R09. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT TIMELINE:
Interviews expected to be held in mid July 2019
How to Apply:
To apply, visit https://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/5153
For full consideration, submit the required documents by the priority screen date listed above. For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library (map).
CSU Monterey Bay is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to: Age, Disability, Race or Ethnicity, Gender, Gender Identity or Expression, Nationality, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Genetic Information, Veteran or Military Status.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency