Photography: Contract Instructor - College Credit
San Diego Community College District
Closing Date: 9/20/2021
Position Number: 001528
Location: San Diego City College
Position Type: Academic
Applications are being accepted for the position of Assistant Professor, Photography at San Diego City College beginning Spring 2022.
One of three colleges in the San Diego Community College District, City College is an urban campus dedicated to the precepts of Social Justice, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. City College provides academic and vocational offerings to meet the needs of a diverse student population. The college is minutes away from the world-class San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, and Chicano Park.
While the current vacancy is at City College, applicants should understand that they are subject to assignment at any District facility at the option of the Chancellor. The assignment may include some combination of online, day, evening, Saturday, and/or off-campus classes. In addition, this pool may be used to fill identical vacancies that may occur during the 2021-2022 academic year. The Assistant Professor, Photography position is in the Department of Visual and Performing Arts and reports to the Dean of the School of Arts, Humanities, Communications, and Telecommunications.
A typical weekly teaching load consists of 15-30 hours of lab/lecture courses.
Major responsibilities for the position of Assistant Professor, Photography include:
- Teaching classes across a broad spectrum of the area of Photography to include, but not limited to: digital imaging, photo editing, history of photography, commercial/advertising photography, studio and location lighting, using both continuous light and flash, wedding/event/portraiture, and analog imaging including silver, non-silver/alternative processes, and large format;
- Provide leadership for program and curriculum development;
- Oversee the photography gallery exhibitions;
- Coordinate class schedules in collaboration with adjunct faculty;
- Chair and facilitate the programs Industry Advisory Council;
- Conduct Program Review and report annual outcomes for Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs); and
- Fulfill the responsibilities of a community college instructor in accordance with the San Diego Community College classification description.
Qualifications | MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Degrees must be from regionally accredited institutions.
1. Masters degree in Photography, Fine Arts, or Art; OR,
2. Bachelors degree in Photography, Fine Arts, or Art AND Masters degree in Art History or Humanities; OR,
3. Possession of a California Community College Instructor Credential (valid for life) in Art and Design, including Photography; OR,
4. The equivalent.
The following are desired qualifications for the position:
- Subject matter expertise.
- Masters degree in Photography or Fine Art.
- Ability and interest in teaching a variety of courses such as all levels of digital as well as black and white photography.
- Ability to teach effectively by demonstrating a working knowledge of learning styles and teaching techniques.
- Recent teaching experience in Photography at a community college and/or lower-division college level.
- The ability to fairly and effectively evaluate student performance.
- Experience in the development and/or review of courses and curriculum.
- Skill and ability in communicating in a clear and concise manner, both orally and in writing.
- Continued professional growth in Photography and teaching pedagogy.
- Recent experience using online technology.
- Computer literacy in a classroom setting.
- Experience and/or knowledge in working with students of great diversity in socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Capture One, Final Cut Pro software.
- Experience with shooting professional photography including tethered shooting, working with models, and overall photoshoot coordination.
- Experience working in a darkroom, including chemical safety, developing film, working with enlargers and overall darkroom maintenance.
- Experience with social media promotion and networking with local institutions and businesses.
- Experience producing professional quality photography prints in a dark room and on high quality inkjet printers.
Class 1, Step A Class 6, Step C ($5,883.75 $7,928.01) per month based on the current AFT College Faculty Tenured-Tenure Track Monthly Salary Schedule.
Initial salary placement for this Assistant Professor is commensurate with required education and related teaching experience as outlined in section A2.1 of the AFT Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement and it is non-negotiable. The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid medical, dental, vision plans, sick leave, and opportunities for professional development. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. Benefits will be provided under the terms of the AFT-Guild, Local 1931 Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Annual Salaries will be recalculated for service less than a full academic year based on Education Code 87815, any required adjustment will be made within the first pay period. Travel reimbursement for interviewees traveling more than 200 miles, one-way, may be paid according to geographic location (see SDCCD Travel Stipend Policy, Rev 7/14/2011). Typically, Assistant Professors earn tenure after 4 years and promote to Associate Professor. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://www.sdccdjobs.com
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency