Performing Arts Specialist-VAPA Complex
Closing Date/Time: 3/30/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Aptos, CA
Department: Vapa Division Office
This full-time (40 hours per week) Performing Arts Specialist position coordinates and performs support work in one or more specialized areas for a theatrical/musical/dance production including but not limited to lights, sound, scenery, costumes, set preparation, electrical work, carpentry, painting, and other general production assistance of all kinds.
In addition, a Performing Arts Specialist position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time or substitute assignments as needs arise.
- Confers and works with the Performing Arts Complex Coordinator and Performing Arts Technical Coordinator for stage preparation in a designated area such as costumes, lighting, sound, scenery, etc.
- Communicates and works collaboratively with members of the production team to implement desired production specifications
- Creates, procures and maintains theatrical materials (e.g. lighting equipment, costumes, props) in a designated area during production to ensure materials are stage-ready for each performance
- Assists in the implementation of guidelines and procedures related to the safe use and operation of technical support facilities and equipment for performing arts productions
- Oversees the work of student assistants, temporary staff and volunteers in the safe and proper use of equipment, stage materials and facilities
- Coordinates with the Performing Arts Technical Coordinator, Performing Arts Complex Coordinator, and others to ensure the safe operation, maintenance, and repair of performing arts production equipment and stage materials
- Recommends equipment and materials purchase
- Orders, issues and maintains records of supplies and equipment
- Arranges for the proper use of storage areas
- Assists and provides technical direction and support for those using the facilities and equipment
- Performs the necessary work in designated area such as constructing sets, creating costumes, etc.
- Maintains accurate inventory and use records related to performing arts equipment and materials
- Operates standard office and computer equipment to produce correspondence, reports, or other written material using various software such as email, word processing, and spreadsheets
- Works closely with the directors and others to create the desired "look and feel" for publicity photo shoots and related marketing and promotional materials
- Works closely with the Managing Director and others in keeping within the production budget and guidelines
- Attends rehearsals, performances, and meetings as necessary
- May require driving for position-related activities (e.g. driving to area organizations for costumes or props)
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to completion of two (2) years of college with major coursework in technical theater/performing arts curriculum AND two (2) years of experience performing technical support work in the designated support area.
Please note: Additional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Principles, techniques, methods and equipment used in the technical and design aspects of performing arts productions
- Safe operations, installations, maintenance and repair of theatrical and performing arts equipment
- Practices of technical support scheduling for production purposes
- Safety procedures and equipment related to the work
- Standard office and computer equipment and various software such as email, word processing, and spreadsheets
- Recordkeeping, inventory, storage, and filing practices
- Basic supervisory principles and practices
- Apply and utilize the principles, techniques, methods and equipment used in the technical and design aspects of performing arts productions
- Demonstrate effective collaborative skills necessary to ensure optimal theatrical and performing arts production
- Safely operate, maintain and repair a variety of performing arts technical equipment and tools
- Instructing others in the technical aspects of performing arts productions
- Exercise sound judgment within procedural guidelines
- Coordinate multiple projects and meet production-driven deadlines
- Maintain an accurate inventory, storage and recordkeeping system
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work, including students in VAPA performing arts courses
- Work within an established production budget
- Operate a keyboard with sufficient skill to produce correspondence, reports and other written material using various software such as email, word processing, and spreadsheets
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends, depending on rehearsal and performance schedules
- Ability to maintain a valid California driver's license and a safe driving record during the course of employment
- Experience in:
- Hanging, focusing, programming, and troubleshooting lights
- Setting up and running sound systems including speakers, monitors, microphones, soundboards, projectors, and computers
- Working with students in a recording studio
- Skilled electrician
- Possess sufficient strength to safely lift and move boxes and equipment (eg. sound components) weighing up to 50 pounds
Salary: $3,270 to $3,606 plus shift and weekend differential per month to start; seven-step schedule to $4,383per month. Full-time, 100% assignment (40 hours per week), 10 months per year; Thursday through Monday, 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
* Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgement of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues or service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate of gross salary per month.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
- Verification of educational qualifications (Foreign transcripts must be translated to determine equivalency to U.S. standards. (Download PDF reader) Any fee for such translation is paid by the applicant.)
- Transcripts from all colleges attended (unofficial transcripts, copies, and downloads are acceptable) to demonstrate the qualification re: college coursework listed in this announcement. (If selected, it is the responsibility of the candidate to provide official transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or other documents as may be requested.) OR
- Verification of experience qualifications: Experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Applicant must provide written evidence that proves additional experience is equivalent for purposes of substitution.
**If any of the above materials are not submitted with your application packet, your materials will be deemed incomplete.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: social security number, birth date, age, gender, birthplace and personal photos.
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials MUST be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Friday, March 30, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency