Box Office Specialist
Closing Date/Time: 7/31/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Part-time
Department: Vapa Division Office
This part-time (50%) Box Office Specialist position oversees the day-to-day operation of the box office and temporary/hourly staff for the Visual, Applied and Performing Arts (VAPA) Division, Cabrillo Stage, renters of the Cabrillo College performance venues, and other College events as directed or assigned.
In addition, a Box Office Specialist position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other part-time or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
- Staffs box office customer window, provides customer service, processes daily bank deposits, counts box office tickets, computes box office statements and performs weekly audits
- Processes mail, telephone, and online ticket orders
- Ensures box office is staffed for all events as directed by the VAPA Division Dean
- Schedules and trains temporary/hourly staff who assist with box office operations
- Assists in the recruitment and selection of temporary/hourly box office staff; ensures hourly staffing costs do not exceed authorized box office budget limitations
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of box office temporary/hourly paperwork and time cards
- Coordinates box office operations for a variety of scheduled events at various locations
- Explains and applies established ticketing and box office user fees; recommends effective ticket pricing schemes
- Orders ticket stock and box office supplies
- Oversees ticket printing and will-call filing
- Produces daily sales reports, audits, and deposits; handles accounting and distribution of ticket proceeds
- Ensures outside users receive proper proceeds from ticket sales
- Schedules event bank pick-ups and deposits, as necessary
- Enters event data in patron management system and serves as primary liaison with the patron management service
- Prepares reports, correspondence and other written materials using a computer and various software such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and website management
- Updates upcoming events on box office voice mail; creates and posts event information on the website
- Serves patrons by selling tickets, distributing pre-paid orders and exchanging tickets; assists patrons with ticketing issues
- Coordinates and communicates effectively with staff, faculty and renters relative to the execution of box office duties and responsibilities
- May drive to off-campus performance locations in support of college-sponsored events
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school AND two (2) years of experience in position(s) that require daily contact with the public and responsibility for cash management, one (1) year of which was in the field of box office operations, preferably in a performing arts environment.
- Experience in a lead role in box office operations in a performing arts environment
- Theater box office operations including effective public relations and organizational skills Business math
- Basic office equipment, reporting and filing systems, and various software programs such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and website management
- Principles of supervision
- Cash handling and performance scheduling methods
- Reconciling daily box office reports
- Patron management system software used in the entertainment industry (e.g. Vendini)
- Effective customer service principles
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of a box office
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Work well with the public
- Work professionally with multiple organizations and vendors
- Competently use general arithmetic skills
- Accurately and ethically handle cash-related transactions
- Prepare reports, correspondence, and other written materials using a computer and various software such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and website management
- Respond to a variety of public inquiries and resolve disputes, complaints, and problems related to errors in transaction charges, seat assignments or related situations
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Possess and maintain, during the course of employment, a valid California driver's license and safe driving record
- Willingness to drive to various performance locations in support of college-sponsored events
- Must be willing to work days, evenings and weekends at various campus locations
Starting Salary: *$1,654 to $1,823 per month to start; seven step schedule to $2,216 per month. Part-time, 50% assignment (20 hours per week), 12 months per year. Thursday 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
Please Note: This part-time assignment is not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
To be considered, each candidate must submit:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birthplace, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Wednesday, July 31, 2019.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency