Assistant Learning Specialist/Assistant Tutor Coordinator (Student Services Program Assistant 2)
Work Type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Student Programs and Services
This position will assist students in coordinating the development and implementation of individualized academic enhancement plans and assist in tracking data surrounding academic retention and student success. This individual will work within the University of Connecticut, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) general rules and regulations, as well as all standards regarding academic integrity. The successful candidate should have a strong knowledge of the unique challenges student-athletes face. This position will be expected to communicate with SASP academic counselors, coaches, athletic administration, faculty, advisors, prospective students, and other campus partners to ensure a high level of student support and success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works as an assistant learning specialist to provide individualized academic support.
- Collaborates with Learning Service Team and Football Academic Support Team to provide holistic support for students.
- Makes appropriate referrals to other student success services such as SASP Learning Services, Psychological Services, Center for Students with Disabilities, and Mental Health Services.
- Assists in planning and organization of tutor, mentor, and academic coaching sessions
- Organizes exam reviews and tracks study hours.
- Provides reports on student success data in clear and concise formats
- Assists in creating and implementing specialized programs and services through collaboration with other student-centered offices.
- Serves as liaison for books with Office of Athletics Compliance and Barnes and Noble, handling course changes during the add/drop period and coordinating books and resources from other vendors as required.
- Maintains knowledge of all applicable NCAA, University, and Division rules pertaining to academic coaching, mentoring, tutoring, and academic integrity.
- Functions in a fast-paced environment, which also includes a flexing schedule to work nights and weekends.
- Assist in creating, designing, and editing departmental materials
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
- Keeps Learning Services Director and Assistant Learning Service Director regularly informed of potential problems with students, academic coaches, mentors, and tutors.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Learning Services Director and/or Associate Athletic Director/SASP.
- Bachelor's degree in related field and two years of position-related experience in advising and/or counseling students or in providing academic support, OR advanced degree in a related field and two years of related experience in advising and/or counseling students or in providing academic support at the collegiate level.
- Ability and knowledge to support undergraduate students, including first-generation college student and students from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to build rapport with students, support networks, and university partners
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse population faculty, staff, and university constituents.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and decision-making skills.
- Experience working with students with learning challenges.
- Knowledge of ADA law related to postsecondary education.
- Concrete working knowledge of NCAA academic integrity rules and regulations.
- Worked in an academic support unit for student-athletes as a learning specialist at the Division I level.
- Experience in managing and coordinating study halls, academic coaching, mentor, and tutor training.
- Able to demonstrate the ability to teach Executive Functioning Skill and other study skills and related topics.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496440 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on July 5, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Application Close: Jul 05 2022
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.uconn.edu/en-us/job/496440/assistant-learning-specialistassistant-tutor-coordinator-student-services-program-assistant-2
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency